Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Deadline is September 1!

We have one week left to send your vote into NACE for the SP0169-2007 revision. Please let me know if there are any issues or questions. I will help if I can.

We have all worked very hard. There is much more work to do! Even after the first ballot, there will likely be a re-ballot or two, so please stay in tune with the process. If you would to see what I say in my negative vote I will be glad to forward it to you if it helps.

I have strongly defended the use of the -850 mV or more negative “ON” potential. I have found some data that backs up the thing I have been saying for a long time. It is very rare to no meet a 100 mV of polarization if you also have an “ON” -850 mV or more negative. Also, most corrosion we find today has little to do with inadequate CP and more to do with the coatings we have used and are still using in some cases. There is too much proof! Too many years of data! Put it in front of the committee and let them see it.

The issues that we face are many. Please keep in mind that there are several parts of the document, not just criteria. We must look at all parts of the document. I personally think the coatings section has been greatly improved, even though there are some problems, but these can be corrected.

Thanks again for all the support and effort. In the long run, we hope we have a document that will provide the industry with the best possible standard that will provide many more years of guidance to controlling the external corrosion on pipelines.

Richard Norsworthy

No comments: