Sunday, February 21, 2010

Comments on TG 360 vote

I have to agree with Mauro on his comments. The problem I have with the 25 µm/y (1 mil/y) is that there will be no way to measure this corrosion rate on pipelines and other structures that we cathodically protect. As Mauro and I have pointed out coupons are not pipelines. Coupons are good tools when used properly, but are not the answer to this question. My issue is when does this become a requirement? If some (uneducated) regulator or other person (such as a lawyer or expert witness) asks you to prove you have protected your pipeline to this level, how are you going to answer them? We DO NOT need this in our SP0169 document. As a matter of fact the committee in 1990 even gave a really good answer as to why this should not be in the document when one of the members offered it as a way to determine adequate protection! What has changed?

The other thing that really bothers me is the use of “instant off”. Why would we want to use this term when we can not define it or measure it? At least the term polarized potential has a definition, even if there is no way to actually measure it accurately. There are too many times that we can not interrupt all current sources.

I will address these and a few more areas in my negative. I will post my negative response for those of you who need some guidance. Hopefully, I will have this done by next weekend. I will let you know when I have completed it and you may use any of it you like to help you with your wording.

Be sure you notify all who are on the voting list and have them vote. I am against the present form of the document, but do hope all of those who are on the list vote. I have learned very much from being active in this document and I hope the SP0169.com blog site has been and will continue to be helpful to all who are concerned about the revision of this document.

Polyguard has made an effort to provide this information so all can comment. I do not refuse comments that are reasonable and offer good information and discussion on this topic.

Another very interesting thing that has happened is the US Department of Transportation is now requiring the use of NON-SHIELDING coatings on pipelines if the operator wants to increase the maximum operating pressure from 72% to 80 %. As most of you know we at Polyguard have been promoting the use of non-shielding coatings for many years. Come by our booth at CORROSION 2010 and get some information on our Polyguard RD-6 coating system and other products.

Please let me know if you do not want to get this information and I will remove you from the list.

Thanks for supporting the blog site,

Richard Norsworthy
Polyguard Products
richnors@flash.net

No comments: